Inspire your LIEf

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Water Wings

The term “sink or swim” pertains to nearly every situation we get ourselves into, but what does one do if they were never taught to swim. To keep my head above water, judging by the way this life is panning out so far, I prefer to keep my ‘water wings’ on.

Being from a town only the almanac has heard of, made growing up normal, without a kid or with all of your teeth, nearly impossible. In Arlington, Washington, It is basically customary to married, divorced and in a custody battle by the ripe-ol’-age of 19. Although my sisters and I all graduated from Arlington High School, we were among the lucky few who resided in Oso… yes, it means bear in Spanish. Oso resembles a town you would imagine Tom Sawyer grew up in. It is conveniently located 18 miles outside of Arlington towards Darrington. Being that Oso was so close to everything (insert sarcasm here), it was super easy to find things to do.

The “Oso kids” were probably the most creative kids you would ever come across. It was not easy to convince people to want to move 20 minutes away from civilization so If we had only thought ahead and made Arnold Swartzenager our spokesperson, we could have tricked people to “come live in beautiful Oso, Washington.”  As far as the other kids in the neighborhood, there were only so many quality, legit ones to choose from so It was easy for me to weed out the worthless children. If you didn’t have a bike with toggles on your spokes, POGS or rollerblades, you were no friend of mine.  As a little-tyke, my sisters and I were the only girls that lived in Oso, needless to say, the discovery that boys were our only option for companionship came at an early age. My next-door neighbor Glen was a shoo-in as best friend. He was my age, had a bowl cut, freakishly red lips was full of bad jokes. Most importantly, I was in no way attracted to him, which made life as a seven year old much easier.  Glen and I always managed to get away with “murder” in Oso, scary thing is we probably could have... Despite this being the awful truth, this is just where my LIEf began...
 xx Your LIEfer

No comments:

Post a Comment